The iCan Spoon is a well-proven Swedish invention from 2013 that makes it easier for the child to start to eat themselves. Customized for small hands. With its low weight and multigrip function, the baby can grip the spoon just the way they want. Tweezers, thumb, precision, volar, finger and transverse grips are a much more useful grip than the “whole hand grip” as all other children’s spoons invites to. The child trains its fingers instead of the arm and gives an intuitive transition from eating with its hands.
The hole in the spoon provides contact between the thumb and index finger for increased stability, and if the child wants it, it may pierce the thumb or index finger for a secure grip.
Experts says that it is important that meals are a positive experience from the beginning. Many children also want to help themselves to eat. Likewise, eating is by it self an excellent way to develop the motor skills, food is a good motivation.
The six different grips
Transverse Finger Grip
Transverse Volaric Grip
Five Finger Grip
Lateral Precision Grip
6 different grips
6 different grips that the child can use to practice fine motor skills. Five finger- , precision-, thumb- and transverse grip are a much more useful grip than the “whole hand grip” that a lot of childrens spoons invite to. The child trains his fingers instead of the arm and gives an intuitive transition from eating with his hands. The hole in the Spoon provides contact between the thumb and index finger for increased stability, and if the child wants it, it may put their thumb or index finger for a secure grip.
- 6 months: The child is eating with his hands.
- 9 months: The child begins to pick peas, crumbs, etc. between the index finger and the thumb.Child holds spoon during feeding. Encourage child’s own eating. Use thumb or finger grips.
- 12 months: Children have develop their fine motor skills and can start to eat byt themselves with the twizer or precision grip.
- 18 months: The child is eating using fine motorskills with varying grips. Done wiping floor, child can now eat!* (*Children’s development varies, a lot! Just encourage, encourage, encourage! Remember it is about nutrition and dexterity training, the mess is inevitable, and good!)
iCan Spoon Features
- Baby can grip the way they want
- 6 different grip options for fine motor skills
- PBA, PVC & Phthalater Free
- Europiean Standard EN 14375 – cutlery and feeding untenis
- Commission Regulation (EU) No 10/2011, products in contact with food.
- American standard CPSIA, section 101 and 108
Perth Baby Store | WA Family Owned | Fantastic Service | Great Value for Money
Expecting a baby is so exciting! We also know there is a lot to think about. At Babyroad, our experienced team have been helping Perth families make the best decisions for over 20 years.
From our family to yours, our team will help ensure you have the right products, at the best prices, for you and your baby.
Shop Online, or visit our Perth Showroom, which is a haven for new parents and families, including over twenty nursery room displays complete with furniture, flooring, manchester and wall decals to help you visualise your dream nursery. Children are always welcome in-store to explore and enjoy all that Babyroad has to offer.