The Ultimate Hospital Bag Checklist
It’s almost the end of your pregnancy road and birth is around the corner.
The nerves and more importantly the excitement is starting to set in as you get closer to meeting your bub earthside.
Whether you are having your baby at the hospital or home, there are some essential items you will need to pack to make sure you and your new baby have a smooth experience.
The time you spend in hospital can vary depending on your circumstances – normally it’s between 1 and 5 days. Try to have your bags prepared early in case you go into labour before your due date.
To take out the guesswork and make you feel prepared, the team at Babyroad have put together a list of all items you will need to pack. Our hospital bag checklist includes items for both you, your baby and your partner.
Remember that hospitals will supply different items, so it’s important to check with your Birthing Centre as to what they supply so you don’t need to double up.
Hospital Bag Checklist for Birth
- Birth plan – bring several copies
- Medicare card
- Health insurance information
- Nipple cream
- Breast pads
- Nipple icepacks
- Heavy-duty pads
- Speaker & headphones. Listening to music can help to calm and motivate you during birth. Have a playlist ready to go will all your favourite songs.
- Phone, camera and charger to capture the experience
Hospital Bag Checklist for Stay
- Pack your own shampoo and body wash. The hospital may supply these items, but you will likely want to use your own products to give you some luxury amidst all the hospital scenery.
- Massage oil – a massage during labour can be very relieving.
- Lip balm
- Hairbrush & hair ties
- Face wash & wipes
- Dry shampoo
- Toilet paper. I know what you are thinking, the hospital will have toilet paper. They do! But it’s not very soft or good quality and trust us, you will appreciate some softness down there after birth!
- Laptop & entertainment. Sometimes there will be downtime, so you’ll want to have some entertainment ready.
- Earplugs – hospitals are going 24/7 and it can be hard to get any sleep.
- Your own pillow – it’s important you feel comfortable – a little bit of home is always nice.
- Your own towel. While the hospital will have these, you’ll appreciate a nice soft towel from home for your first post-delivery shower.
- Thongs or slippers. Your feet can swell more after birth than before so it’s important to have comfortable shoes. Seems hard to believe – but it’s true sadly.
- Drink bottle
- Laundry bag. You will go through lots of underwear and baby clothes so having an extra bag to put your dirty laundry is important.
- Essential oils & diffuser – essential oils can be calming, especially if you have been using them in your pre-birth preparation.
- Snacks & drinks – you can never pack enough snacks.
- Cash – in case you need money for the vending machine because god forbid you run out of snacks!
Apart from all the essentials, remember to pack for yourself. We’ve included not only the must-haves but also the nice-to-haves.
Hospital Bag Checklist for Baby
- Baby car seat. Remember to have this properly fitted so you can take your bub home safely. You will not be allowed to leave the hospital with your baby without an approved car seat. You can read more about car seat laws in Australia
- Baby clothes. It’s important to pack smaller and bigger sizes. If your baby comes early you will need smaller clothing. A handy tip is to pack baby clothes in zip lock bags so you can access all the items you need for changing easily, without having to rummage through a whole bag. It’s essential to pack multiple changes and a going home outfit.
- Socks, booties & mittens
- Baby blanket
- Nappies & baby wipes. In most cases, the hospital supplies these items, but it’s important to check first.
Hospital Bag Checklist for Partner
Whether your birthing partner is your husband, mum or best friend they will also need supplies.
- Comfortable shoes – there will be a lot of pacing the room and hallways.
- Swimwear to join you in the shower or birth pool
- Phone & charger
- Change of clothes
- Entertainment – books, laptop, puzzle etc birth can go for a long time!
Want a printable version of our list? Download our pdf below.
At Babyroad, we stock a large variety of leading baby brands to help you prepare for birth. Find all the essentials you need for your birth and baby bag in one place. We also offer a car seat fitting service, so we can professionally install your car seat at home or the hospital. Shop our range of birth and baby items online or in-store.